I'm joining in on the #runchat love today, talking about what I love about running. Next to God and my family, I may love running the most.
1. I love running because I finally have a "sport." I never played organized sports as a kid and I tried out for basketball a few times, but didn't have the skills or talent to make the team. Now I follow professional runners and know all about the Olympic Marathon trials. And I can say I'm part of the 1% of the population who has run a marathon.
2. I love running because it gives me a little license to indulge without guilt. In fact, running on Valentine's Day, or almost any food-related holiday is a must for me.
3. I love running because it's the one thing I do for myself that I don't feel guilty about.
4. I love running because people somehow admire me for running, even though I believe anyone can be a runner.
5. I love running because it requires very little "gear". Sure there's lots of fun or helpful stuff, but truly a pair of shoes is all you need. Or you could be a barefoot runner and not even need shoes!
6. I love running because I struggle to express my emotions, and sometimes I need to feel the pain of my soul in my body. Running is half soul, half body for me.
7. I love running because of the running community I've found online.
8. I love running because my girls copy me. They want to wear my running gear and they talk about running a racing to me quite often.
9. I love running because I can run with my kids. As a working mom my time with my kids is precious so sometimes taking more time away from them to run (if I can't run early in the morning) just isn't okay with me. The first 5-6 years I was running, I almost ALWAYS ran with a stroller. Now that we live in a neighborhood I can run in, I don't run with the stroller as much. But still love the option, especially on my days off. And running outings are fun! We run, then we play.
10. I love running because it makes me a better person.